- New Dialing Procedures of 818 area code
- Benefits of dialling 1 + the area code and then the telephone number
- Time Zone
- What is Area Code?
- Need of New Area Code
- What to do when an area code overlay is implemented?
- Why to use? Is it helpful?
- How do Businesses prepare- in an area code overlay?
The 818 Area code was initially created in 1984. In 1947, after the standardization of American telephone area codes, Los Angeles County was using the 213 area code. With the passage of time the population increased, their needs of communication also enhanced, resulting in more phone usage in Los Angeles during the 1980s and 1990s.
So that, the area code 213 splits into several new area codes, including the 818. The area code 818 was officially activated and served in specified areas on 7 January 1984.
Area code 818 was further split in to area code 626 on June 14, 1997 for the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California, situated to the east of the city of Los Angeles.
Later, In November 1999, the proposal happened for a new 747 area code would split from 818 to serve the southern and western portions of the San Fernando Valley. California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) decided to implement 818/747 split, or an overlay of 818 with 747. Public accepted to implement an overlay of 818/747 rather than split
So, CPUC decided that 747 area code would overlay area code 818 on April 24, 2008. It would be functional on May 18, 2009. For some period of time callers of 818/747 area code could make calls by using old seven digit number. Due to overlay of 747 area code the dialing procedure was changed.
New Dialing Procedures of 818 area code
There was a need to inform people under the area code of 818 with the new dialing method. On April 10, 2009. The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) reminded consumers in the area code 818 that due to the 747 area code overlay.
- The callers must dial 1 + area code + telephone number and would be effective from April 18, 2009. This means that all calls in the 818 or 747 area codes need to dial using 1+ area code + telephone number.
- Two area codes will represent the same geographic region.
- The area code must use when dialing any telephone number – including calls within the same area code beginning April 18, 2009.
- After April 18, 2009, if consumers do not follow the procedure, their call will not complete.
- Follow the instructions to hang up and dial again.
- The consumers who were using old 7-digit number would require reprogramming to use new calling procedures.
- Re-programming would must for mobile phones settings, fax machines, alarm and security system and for other automatic equipments,
A consumer’s existing telephone number will remain the same including current area code. Same case is with the cost of a telephone call, coverage area and other rates and services. A local call will remain a local call.
Benefits of dialling 1 + the area code and then the telephone number
The areas with overlay area codes must follow the new dialing procedure issued by The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to
- Maximize numbering resource optimization,
- Minimize anti-competitive effects due to dialing gaps.
- Avoid customer confusion.
- Track the calls.
- Speed up the call transmission,
The area code 818 is in the California, United States. It covers the largest area of South California, the Los Angeles. Other major areas include Glendale, Pasadena, Monrovia, San Fernando, Calabasas, Duarte, Agoura, Topanga and La Crescenta.
The 818 area code is in the Pacific time zone.
What is Area Code?
Area code is the 3-digit number that is given to a specific geographic area. For better management of tArea code is the 3-digit number that given to a specific geographic area. For better management of telecommunication system in the United States, Canada, and some Caribbean countries, the larger areas divides into smaller numbering plan areas (NPAs) as per the rules of the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) by The Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The numbering plan areas identified by a three-digit code, commonly known as an area code. The phone number looks like this NPA-NXX-XXXX. It demonstrates:
- NPA is the area code assigned to that specific area.
- NXX is the 3-digit number represents a specific central office within that area.
- XXXX is the 4-digit number that represents a specific line within a central office.
Need of New Area Code
A new area code is added to a geographic area when there are no more three-digit prefixes available in the existing area code. Area codes are added in the form of a geographic split or an overlay. California has added twelve area codes using the overlay method since 2006. California currently has 36 area codes.
What to do when an area code overlay implemented?
- First, update dial-up numbers to avoid a break in security routines and contacts.
- Then re-programme automatic dial, speed-dial, call forwarding, internet dial-up access etc.
- Programmed to dial seven digits to dial “1” + area code + telephone number.
- Start thinking of dialing 1 + the area code + telephone number for all calls.
- Inform and advise to other families and friends to dial 1 + the area code + telephone number for all calls.
- If anyone ask about your number, do not forget to give your area code + telephone number.
- If someone else’s number needed, ask him for the area code too.
- It is very important to mention the area code for avoiding any interruption among the calls as both the previous and the new codes exist in the same area.
Why to use? Is it helpful?
- You can use this area code 818 from any device such as mobile phone, laptop, your desktop computer, and smart phone.
- If you owned this area code number, you could make unlimited calls to United stated, Canada and almost 50 other countries without any extra charges.
- You can enjoy many useful features of phone like custom greeting, call recording and call forwarding etc.
- Grow your business with local 818 phone number in Los Angeles. Almost 5% of LS population live in this 818 area code. LS is ideal for entertainment, trade, technology, aerospace, fashion, petroleum, and tourism.
- You can expose your business to two million people which later helpful in your progress.
- You can start your own company with local 818 area code phone number by showing virtual occurrence.
How do Businesses prepare- in an area code overlay?
- Re-programme your all devices to dial 1 +area code+ telephone numbers.
- Re-programme automatic dial, speed-dial, call forwarding, internet dial-up access etc.
- Security door and gate systems reprogrammed to dial 1 + area code + telephone number.
- Call-forwarding, automatic-dial or speed-dial features to dial 1+ area code + telephone number.
- Check your telephone equipment either it can dial and receive “1” + area code + telephone number. Inform telephone equipment vendors for any problem or change in telephone equipment.
- Stationery, checks, business cards, advertisements, promotional items, brochures, internet web pages, catalogs should update.
- Employees, co-workers, customers should informe to dial the area code + telephone number for all calls.
Thanks for reading.
For More You May Also Read: 844 Area Code