Area code 302 is one of the original telephone area codes in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) for the U.S. state of Delaware. It is the only area code that serves Delaware and was assigned in 1947.
Location of Area Code 302
It serves the main counties of Delaware including New Castle, Sussex, and Kent. Wilmington, Dover, Newark, Bear, Middletown, Hockessin, Smyrna, Milford, Claymont, Seaford are the major cities that use area code 302. Other cities include Wilmington, Dover, Newark, Bear, Middletown, Brookside, Glasgow, Hockessin, Pike Creek Valley, Smyrna, Milford, Claymont, North Star, Pike Creek, Wilmington Manor, etc.
The 302 Area code is in the Eastern time zone.
Background of Area Code 302
- It is one of the original area codes of NANP in 1947, serving the entire Delaware.
- With the passage of time, rapid growth of population increased the demand of telephonic area codes in NANP.
- In north part of Delaware, telecommunication services also increased. Despite the rapid growth in telecommunication, this area code is not expected to tire its numbering pool until 2047.
- On July 16, 2020, the FCC ordered the 3-digit abbreviated dialing code 988 for the national suicide prevention and mental health crisis hotline. It required all telecommunications providers to ensure all possible changes in their network so that users can dial 988 to reach the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 / 1-800-273 (TALK) by July 16, 2022.
- Total 82 area codes of NANP served by new dialing code 988. 302 is one of them.
How to make a call in Area Code 302?
- Currently, 82 area codes including 302 permit 7-digit dialing and use 988 as a central office code. It is a request to the providers of this area code to must implement 10-digit dialing.
- Provided transition time for preperation.
- Shifting to 10- digit dialing involves both the technical work as well as educating consumers about how to dial and update their telecommunication equipments.
- From October 24, 2021, 10-digit dialing will be necessary otherwise call will not generate.
- Before this effective date, subscribers can make local calls on either a 7-digit or 10- digit. But users should dial 10 digits. But after the effective date, users should dial 10 digits for the call.
What is 10-Digit Dialing?
This plan includes a dialing procedure to make local calls from one area code to another. In ten-digit dialing, callers dial the three digits central office code and the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber along with area code like this, 10-digits (NPA-NXX-XXXX).
Area Code 302 phone numbers for your business
This area code is one of the original area codes still in service. It is the only area code that is serving entire Delaware and it is more than enough for Delaware’s more than 400,000 households. An ideal place to start a business because of its strong economy.
You can use local phone numbers to flourish your work by seeking opportunities in different industries like pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, transportation, food service, banking and finance, education, and many more.
You May Also Read>> 928 area code, 623 area code.