Area Code 928 is the telephonic area code that covers northern, eastern, and western portions of Arizona except Phoenix and Tucson.
Location of Area Code 928
It involves countries such as Maricopa, Yavapai, Mohave, Yuma, Coconino, Navajo, Apache, Gila, Graham, Pinal, La Paz, and Greenlee. Larger cities that lie under the 928 area code are Bullhead City, Camp Verde, Chino Valley, Cottonwood, Flagstaff, Fortuna Foothills, Globe, Kingman, Lake Havasu City, Page, Payson, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Safford, San Luis, Sedona, Show Low, Somerton, Tuba City, Winslow, and Yuma, etc.
The 928 Area code is in the Mountain (UTC-7) time zone.
- 928 came in most of the specific areas of Arizona on June 23, 2001. It’s origin from area code 520 as a split.
- Initially area code 520 served the outer parts of Phoenix metropolitan area and southern and western parts of Maricopa County.
- Because of rapid increase in population of Tucson, Yuma and Flagstaff and spread of telecommunication services need more phone numbers and area codes.
- Within two years of creation area code 520 became exhausted therefore, in 2001 the area code 520 split off and new area code 928 was being created for Yuma, La Paz, western Maricopa County, and all northern Arizona.
- Navajo Nation is also served by this area code. Some other areas on the western and northern borders of the Phoenix metropolitan area, such as Lake Pleasant Regional Park in Peoria, also fall in this area code.
How to make a call in Area Code 928?
As a result of geographic split of area code 520, there was no change is making local calls. Local calls were still made by dialing seven-digits. This rule applied to both the areas 520 and 928 and all local rates remain the same.
It is a telephone dialing procedure to make local calls. It is also known as Local Format. In seven-digit dialing, callers dial only the three digits central office code and the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber to reach in the same numbering plan area.
More Info about Area Code 928
Area code 928 has telephone numbers assigned for the central office code 988 by FCC (Federal Communication Commission). The 988 is a new three-digit prefix number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Because 988 callers will need to dial 10-digits when making a local phone call in this area code. This decision will be effective from 24 October 2021.
What is 10-digit Dialing?
It is a telephone dialing procedure to make local calls from one area code to another. In ten-digit dialing, callers dial the three digits central office code and the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber along with the area code.
Work in Area code 928
Flagstaff is one of the areas that fall under 928. You can start your own work in different fields like education, Tourism, science, high-tech research, and trade. It is well known and ranked under number 100 as the best place for business and careers in 2008. It is also very famous for its festivals.
You can work there by using its area code phone number.
For More You May Also Read: 623 Area Code