719 Area code is one of the telephonic area codes in the state of Colorado. It was established on March 5, 1985, as the result of the area code 303 splits.
719 Area code serves the main cities of Colorado state such as Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Alamosa, Canon City, Fountain, La Junta, Lamar, Twin Lakes, Security-Widefield, Trinidad, and Woodland Park, etc.
719 area code lies in the Mountain time zone.
History of 719 Area code
- The area code 719 suppies in North American Numbering plan (NANP) on March 5, 1985, when 303 area code split off.
- Prior to this, 303 Area code was the single area code in NANP to serve entire, Colorado.
- Initially, 303 Area code served the entire state of Colorado for forty years. Despite of rapid increase in population in second half of the 20th century, especially in the Denver area.
- In early 20th century, demand for more phone numbers increased due to proliferation of fax machines, pager, mobile phones, computer modems, and finally smart phones in the area.
- At the end of 1980s, because of rapid increase in population and use of other communication devices, there was a need to create new area code.
- Hence, 303 area code was geographically divided into two areas, existing area code remained same while new area formed with new 3-digits.
- The purpose of 303 Area code split was to provide more central office prefixes. And therefore more telephone numbers, in State of Colorado with high demand for telephone services, and prevent a shortage of telephone numbers.
- Finally on March 5, 1988, a new area code 719 came into service to cover southeastern Colorado.
More Info about 719 area code
On July 16, 2020, the FCC introduced the 3-digits abbreviated dialing code 988 for the national suicide prevention and mental health crisis hotline. The users can dial 988 to reach the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by dialing 1-800-273-8255 by July 16, 2022.
Total 82 area codes of NANP are using the new dialing code 988. 719 is one of them.
How to make a call in Area Code 719?
- Currently, this area code permit 7-digit dialing and use 988 as a central office code.
- It is a request to providers of this area code to must implement 10-digit dialing.
- 10- digit dialing will be effective from October 2021. It involves both the technical work as well as educating users about how to dial and update their telecommunication equipment.
- 10-digit dialing will be necessary from October 24, 2021.
- Before this effective date, subscribers can make local calls on either a 7-digit or 10- digit but it is necessary to dial 10 digits. But after the effective date, but there should be a use of 10 digits for calls .
What is 10-Digit Dialing?
In telecommunication, this calling procedure is being used to make local calls from one area code to another. In ten-digit dialing, callers dial the three digits central office code and the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber along with area code like this, 10-digits (NPA-NXX-XXXX).
For More You May Also Read: Area Code 303