Area code 720 is also a telephonic area code in the North American Numbering Plan. It serves the north-central portion of the state of Colorado just like area code 303. It is an overlay for area code 303 which is why serves the same area.
Area code 720 is in Arvada, Aurora, Boulder, Broomfield, Castlewood, Columbine, Denver, Englewood, Highlands Ranch, Ken Karyl, Lakewood, Littleton, Longmont, Northglenn, Southglenn, Thornton, Westminster, Wheat Ridge. It overlays area code 303.
The area code 720 lies in the Mountain time zone.
- On September 1, 1998, area code 720 initially originated as an overlay for area code 303 to serve the same area.
- Area code 702 was one of the original 86 NANP area codes originated in 1947. It’s purpose was assigned to serve the entire state of Colorado for forty years. But at the end of 1980s, because of rapid increase in population and use of other communication devices, the area code 303 split, a new area code 719 made to cover southeastern Colorado on March 5, 1988.
- Again, on April 2, 1995 another area code 970 came as a result of 303 split, to cover the northeastern and western portions of area code 303.
- The 1995 split was a long-term solution. But within two years the area’s population was growing fast so that area code 720 was working in the 303 service area to create an overlay, on September 1, 1998.
More Info about area code 702
The Denver metropolitan area is under the service area of area code 303/720. According to official predictions in 2020, area code, 303 may exhaust again by 2023. To fulfill the requirements of telecommunication needs of that area, a new 983 area code would activate in the area on April 12, 2022.
How to make a call in an area code overlay?
- In an overlay, the new area code serves the same area as the existing area code. Area code 303/720 serve the same geographic area. In this overlay area code
- Existing phone numbers and local calling procedures remain same.
- Ten-digit dialing (area code + seven-digit number) is necessary.
- In an overlay situation, you can call to seven-digit phone number of same area but with different area code by following 10-digit dialing.
- With seven-digit dialing a caller can dial only the local seven-digit number, without the area code.
- The area code 720 is one of the largest toll-free calling zones in the western United States except Roggen, Brighton, and Wiggins.
- In this area long-distance charges are not applied to any calls made from one phone to another in the area.
- All users must dial ten- digits in the 303/720 area except for Roggen.
For More You May Also Read: Area Code 986