Area code 959 is one of the NPAs that serves northeastern portions of the state of Connecticut. It overlays 860 Area code and serves the same geographical region. Hartford, New London, Litchfield, Tolland, Middlesex, and Windham counties also use Area code 959.
It is located in state of Connecticut including main cities and town such as Bloomfield, Bristol, East Hartford, East Lyme, Enfield, Glastonbury, Groton, Hartford, Litchfield, Manchester, Middletown, New Britain, New London, New Milford, Norwich, Old Lyme, Sherman, Southington, Storrs, Stonington, Torrington, West Hartford, Willimantic and Windsor.
Area code 959 lies in the Eastern Time Zone.
It was created in 2014. Currently serves as an overlay to 860. Area code 860 was created on August 28, 1995, as a result of area code 203 split. While area code 203 was the originally based area code in NANP to serve Connecticut.
With the passage of time, telecommunication needs also increased in the area. Therefore, creating the demand of new area code to fulfill the needs.
As of above scenario, The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority proposed an area code overlay in August 1999, for numbering plan area (NPA) 860 thereby adding the new area code 959. This proposal did not implemented at that time and postponed instead for nearly a decade due to following reasons.
- The overlay plan proposed within two years. Activation date for 959 had not announced as of August 30, 2011.
- In March 2009, the activation date for both overlay plans announced.
- On December 12, 2009 the 203/475 overlay would be activated, while the 860/959 overlay would be activated by 2011.
On August 27, 2013, the NANPA dispensed the information that the area code 959 would go into effect on August 30, 2014. Whereas, the first phone numbers distributed in December 2015. The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority announced the new area code, introduced in the calling region served by the area code 860. In short, the existing 860 area code exhausted because the demand for more phone numbers created.
Dialing Procedure in an Area code Overlay 860/959
Ten- digit dialing is mandatory in any overlay plan in NANP.
- For a local call you must dial 7- digits along with area code (10-digits such as NPA-NXX-XXXX).
- For a toll call you must dial 1 + 10-digits (1 + NPA-NXX-XXXX) and similarly for Operator Services Credit card, collect, third party you must dial 0 + 10-digits (0 + NPA-NXX-XXXX).
- In addition, the new area code 959 will have minimal impact on customers as existing phone numbers, including the current area code, will not change.
- Only new phone numbers assigned to this area code.
- While prices for every call in the new overlay area code remained same.
Is it possible to grow a Business in area code 959?
Area code 959 is serving the same areas of Connecticut as area code 860. As it overlays the area code 860 thereafter creating the equal opportunity for all who wants to start a business in State of Connecticut. No matters where you live and see your business, just get the virtual phone number for your business. No need to build an office in Connecticut. Since you have the facility to get the virtual phone number to operate your business while sitting where you are now. There are many benefits for using business/ virtual phone numbers.
- No need to construct the building in 860/959 area code. Just use the phone number.
- No other phone requires for using this business phone number.
- Operate it along with your personal phone number.
- Keep your personal numbers safe and private by using business phone number.
- Use voice mail for your business.
- When business closed, calls can transfer to voice mail.
For more you may also read 860 Area Code