Area code 205 was one of the 86 original area codes created in North American Numbering Plan in 1947. Area codes 205 is telephone area code in the western and central parts of the Alabama. US including the cities of Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, Hamilton, Jasper, Aliceville and Lisman.
Time zone of Area Code 205
The time zone for 205 area code is Central time zone.
Counties of 205 Area Code
The counties served by area code 205 are Bibb, Blount, Chilton Choctaw, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin, Greene, Hale, Jfferson, Lamar, Marion, Perry, St. Clair, Shelby, Sumter, Tuscaloosa. Walker and Winston.
- 205 is one of the original 86 area codes in NANP created by AT&T in 1947. It served the entire state of Alabama till 1995.
- When In 1995, area code 205 splits into a new area code 334 to update some of the phone numbers in that area.
- In 1998, again a new area code 256 created to serve the northern and eastern portions. and to avoid exhausting all possible phone numbers in this area code. due to population growth and use of new technology in telecommunication.
- In 2019, a new area code 659 created as an overlay plan for the region served by 205.
- This overlays plan 205/659 serves the same area with 10-digit necessary dialing.
What is an area split?
When an area divides into two or more areas geographically. Each area after division assigned a three-digit area code.
What is an overlay?
An overlay plan is the way of assigning multiple area codes to a geographic numbering plan area (NPA). Overlay area plan needs the fast-growing territories. to prevent exhaustion of telephone numbers and central office codes.
Calling Procedure in split areas?
- As a result of geographic split, the way you make a local call will remain the same.
- Local calls are still made by dialing seven digits. It is a telephone dialing procedure to make local calls. It is also known as Local Format. In seven-digit dialing, callers dial only the three digits central office code. the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber to reach in the same numbering plan area.
- When an area splits, two areas A and B arise, the area A that retains the existing area code and the area B that receives the new area code.
- All local call rates remain the same.
- Although, the local calls from one area code into another require dialing 10 digits.
- It is a telephone dialing procedure to make local calls from one area code to another. In ten-digit dialing, callers dial the three digits central office code. the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber along with area code.
For More You May Also Read: 870 Area Code