251 is the telephonic area code of southwestern portion of Alabama, United States. It was originated because of split from area code 334 on 18 June 2001.
Location of 251 Area Code
251 Area code serves the main cities such as Mobile, Prichard, Daphne, Tillmans Corner, Fairhope, Foley, Atmore, Saraland, Gulf Shores, Bay Minette, Spanish Fort, Monroeville, Satsuma, Theodore, Chickasaw, Orange Beach, Brewton, Robertsdale, Jackson, Evergreen, Citronelle, Grand Bay, Bayou La Batre, East Brewton, Point Clear, Creola, Loxley, Mount Vernon, and Grove Hill.
The time zone for 251 area code is Central time zone.
Counties of 251 Area Code
It is the only area code serving the counties including Mobile, Baldwin, Escambia, Monroe, Clarke, Washington, Conecuh, Choctaw, Wilcox etc.
- It originates from area code 334 as a split on June 18, 2001.
- Calling procedure in split areas does not change.
- As a result of geographic split, the way you make a local call will remain the same.
- Local calls are still made by dialing seven digits. It is a telephone dialing procedure to make local calls. It is also known as Local Format. In seven-digit dialing, callers dial only the three digits central office code and the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber to reach in the same numbering plan area.
- When an area splits, two areas A and B arise, the area A that retains the existing area code and the area B that receives the new area code.
- All local call rates remain the same.
- Time had provided to people in new area code to update their electronic devices such as mobiles, computers, fax machines and pagers to enjoy un-interrupted telephonic connection. Therefore, area code 334 remained in use till Januuary7, 2002.
- It has telephone numbers assigned for the central office code 988.
- The 988 is a new three-digit number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, established by FCC (Federal Communication Commission).
- This decision will be effective from 24 October 2021. So, people living in area code 251 will have much time to update their automatic electronic devices.
- Because of 988, callers of that area will require to dial all 10 digits when making a local phone call in the 251-area code.
- Although, the local calls from one area code into another require dialing 10 digits. It is a telephone dialing procedure to make local calls from one area code to another. In ten-digit dialing, callers dial the three digits central office code and the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber along with area code.
Area code 251 for Business growth
It serves the southwestern region of Alabama, southeastern region of United States. You can establish and further grow your business by using virtual phone numbers using this area code in the field of management, automotive, finance, manufacturing, aerospace, mineral extraction, healthcare, education, retail, and technology.
For More You May Also Read: 205 Area Code