The area code 480 was first used in Arizona on 1st March 1999. because of 3 way- split of area code 602. It covers eastern and northern parts of the largest city Phoenix metropolitan area.
Location of Area code 480
Different cities’ uses it include Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Tempe, Casa Grande, Maricopa, Apache Junction, Queen Creek. It also serves the Maricopa and Pinal counties.
This area code is in the Mountain Standard Time (UTC-7) time zone.
- North American area code 480 is a telephone area code in Arizona originated from area code 602 when the Valley of the Sun was growing too fast. Three-way split happened.
- Area codes 480, 623 came and started giving serves in east and west valley. Initially, 480 was especially assigned to the area of the East Valley. While most of the West Valley gained area code 623 and most of Phoenix area remained in 602 area code.
- After four years of implementation, area code 602 was running out of numbers so, all of the state outside of the Valley of the Sun split off as area code 520.
- Initially the plan was to be an overlay code for the entire Phoenix metropolitan area. But overlays were a new idea at the time so not implemented due to potential geographic uncertainty, as well as the requirement for ten-digit dialing.
- A three-way geographic split happened and 480 assigned to the East Valley.
- In area code 480, Iridium satellite telephone service by Iridium Communications Inc. It is used for worldwide voice and data communication from hand-held satellite phones and other transceiver units.
- People expect that in October 2020 that it will reach exhaustion in start of 2024.
In this area code local calls made by dialing 7-digit numbers. Although the area lies under three area codes, no long-distance charges would apply for calls from one portion of the Valley to another. Most of the Valley is still part of the Phoenix exchange, making Phoenix one of the largest rate centers in the United States.
More Info about area code 480
- It has telephone numbers assigned for the central office code 988.
- The 988 is a new three-digit number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, established by FCC (Federal Communication Commission).
- This decision will be effective from 24 October 2021. So, people living in area code 480 will have much time to update their automatic electronic devices.
- Because of 988, callers of that area will require to dial all 10 digits when making a local phone call in the 480-area code.
- Although, the local calls from one area code into another require dialing 10 digits. It is a telephone dialing procedure to make local calls from one area code to another. In ten-digit dialing, callers dial the three digits central office code and the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber along with area code.
For More You May Also Read: 520 Area Code