970 Area code is one of the telephone area codes of Colorado, serving the north and western portions of the state of Colorado.
Location of 970 Area code
970 Area code is in the Northwestern parts of the state of Colorado. It includes the main cities of Clifton, Cortez, Craig, Durango, Edwards, Evans, Fort Collins, Fort Morgan, Fruita, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Greeley, Loveland, Montrose, Rifle, Steamboat Springs, Sterling, Windsor, and more.
Time zone of 970 Area Code
970 area code lies in the Mountain time zone (MST).
- Area code 970 is being used in north and western parts of Colorado except Denver metropolitan area on April 2, 1995.
- It was established because of area code 303 split.
- 303 Area code was the single area code in North American Numbering Plan to serve entire, Colorado.
- In early 20th century, demand for more area codes and phone numbers created. Because of rapid increase in population and use of fax machines, pager, mobile phones, computer modems, and finally smart phones in the area.
- So, at the end of 1980s, the area split was finally approved. The purpose of 303 Area code split was to provide more central office prefixes. And therefore more telephone numbers, in State of Colorado. There was high demand for telephone services, and prevent a shortage of telephone numbers.
- Finally on March 5, 1988, a new area code 719 came into service to cover southeastern Colorado.
- Few years later, on April 2, 1995, area code 303 split off. Another area code 970 formed to cover the northeastern and western portions of area code 303. While Denver metropolitan area retained in existing area code 303.
How to make a call in 970 Area code?
- The split of area code 303 into new area code 970 did not affect local calls.
- Local calling procedure remained with seven-digit dialing.
- The FCC introduced the 3-digits abbreviated dialing code 988 for the national suicide prevention and mental health crisis hotline On July 16, 2020.
- The users can dial 988 to reach the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by dialing 1-800-273-8255 by July 16, 2022.
- Total 82 area codes of NANP uses the new dialing code 988. Code 970 is one of them.
- Currently, this area code permit 7-digit dialing and uses 988 as a central office code.
- it is a request to providers of this area code to must use 10-digit dialing.
- 10- digit dialing will be effective from October 2021. It involves both the technical work. As well as educating users about how to dial and update their telecommunication equipment.
- 10-digit dialing will be necessary from October 24, 2021.
- Before this effective date, subscribers can make local calls on either a 7-digit or 10- digit but was necessary to dial 10 digits. But after the effective date, they use 10 digit code for calling.
What is 10-Digit Dialing?
In telecommunication, this calling procedure is being used to make local calls from one area code to another. In ten-digit dialing, callers dial the three digits central office code and the four-digit station number of the telephone subscriber along with area code like this, 10-digits (NPA-NXX-XXXX).
For More You May Also Read: 719 Area Code