The telephonic area code 602 of Arizona covers most of the city of Phoenix. It was one of the original area codes established in October 1947. Till 1995, it covered the entire state of Arizona when second area code 520 was being established.
This area code belongs to the state of Arizona. It is in most parts of the city of Phoenix, Glendale, Paradise Valley, and some of the surrounding areas. It also serves Maricopa County.
Time zone of Area Code 602
This area code is in the Mountain Standard Time (MST) zone.
History of Area code 602
- It is one of the original 86 area codes in NANP created by AT&T and the Bell System in 1947. Originally, it served the entire state of Arizona.
- The need of area split happened due to Arizona’s explosive population growth that increased demand for telephone lines because of spread of fax machines, cell phones and dial-up Internet connections.
- So, a new area code 520 introduced to cover outer portions of Maricopa County while most parts of Phoenix retained 602.
- The implementation of 520 was a long-term solution but within only three years 602 became exhausted due to population growth and spread of telecommunication tools of the Valley of the Sun.
- Therefore, a three-way geographic split became effective on April 1, 1999.
- Area code 480 introduced to cover the eastern portions of valley and the other area code 623 came to cover west valley.
- As a result of this split, the Phoenix became one of the few major cities in the nation to split between multiple area codes.
- Most of Phoenix remained in 602, but a few areas served by 480 or 623.
Calling Procedure in Area Code 602
Seven-digit dialing commonly known as local format is a telephone dialing procedure which is very common in the territories of the North American Numbering Plan, for making local calls.
In split area codes areas 7-digit dialing is active to dial numbers in local areas. With few exceptions, no long-distance charges were applicable from one portion of the Valley to another. Even after the split of 602 into three area codes such as 480 and 623, most of the Valley is still part of the Phoenix exchange, one of the largest rate centers in the United States.
How to start and grow business in Area Code 602?
Virtual Phone Numbers in Arizona’s (602) Area Code can help grow your business. No matter where you live in the country, you can get a virtual (602) Area Code business phone number without any requirement of installing extra telecommunication equipment.
A virtual business phone number is just like any other phone number you already have. By using virtual phone number, you can make and receive calls and have a voicemail. You can use your business phone number along with your personal number in a single mobile phone. No additional phone is required to use a virtual phone number.
For More You May Also Read: 938 Area Code